AYBL attempts to use NMAA certified high school and middle school basketball referees when possible. With our league have +180 teams last year we are in the process of recruiting and training new and younger referees to meet the growing demand for highly trained and qualified basketball officiating.
Our expectations of our referees are:
1. Knowledge of 2016-17 NFHS and NMAA Basketball Rules and Rule Changes.
2. Proper mechanics.
3. Knowledge of 2016-17 AYBL League Rules (attend mandatory rules meeting).
4. Be in excellent physical condition.
5. Good solid public relations and communication skills with coaches and kids!
2016-17 AYBL RULES CD POWER POINT CLICK ON LINK BELOW AFTER OCTOBER 1, 2015
It is not appropriate for any parent to approach an AYBL referee before or after a game and question their judgment calls on the spot. Please be professional and communicate any concerns to our Executive Director and our Director of Officials.
FOR AYBL INSURANCE PURPOSES WE ASK ALL REFEREES TO REGISTER with the ABOA & PASS A BACKGROUND CHECK.
Go to https://www.ncsisafe.com/Members/SelfRegBatchCode.aspx?srb=26214307 to complete the background check. Visit the "Registration" tab on the homepage to register to become an official.
Below are the 7 criteria questions that we are asking every applicant that would determine a red light.
- Have you ever been convicted, or do you have a pending charge, of a felony
- Have you ever been convicted, or do you have a pending charge, of any lesser crime involving force or threat of force against a person?
- Have you ever been convicted, or do you have a pending charge, of a lesser crime in which sexual relations is an element, including “victimless” crimes of a sexual nature (including pornography)?
- Have you ever been convicted, or do you have a pending charge, of a lesser crime involving controlled substances (not paraphernalia or alcohol)?
- Have you ever been convicted, or do you have a pending charge, of a lesser crime involving cruelty to animals?
- Are you a sex offender registrant?
- Have you ever been convicted, or do you have a pending charge, of a lesser crime involving harm to a minor?
BACKGROUND CHECK POLICY FOR AYBL
THE AYBL BOARD OF DIRECTORS APPROVED THAT IF YOU ARE NOTIFIED AND YOUR BACKGROUND CHECK COMES BACK AS A RED LIGHT, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COACH OR REFEREE FOR THE ALBUQUERQUE YOUTH BASKETBALL LEAGUE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OF CONCERNS PLEASE CONTACT THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DAN SERRANO.